In my store - I talk with Laura Wortlock from Once Was Lost




“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isn't it funny how you watch inspiring creatives from afar and Laura probably doesn't know this story but I went to Melbourne Trade Show and when I saw her gorgeous booth I was too nervous to introduce myself. Several months later I emailed her and she agreed for me to sell Once Was Lost items in my little store, I was beyond excited. Tactile and exquisitely beautiful, her products are made to touch this world gently and with loads of heart. Laura recently opened a shop front in Norwood, South Australia called May Home Store.   I asked Laura my five favourite questions to learn a little more about this talented woman.

 

 If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?

Wholehearted.

 

What inspires you the most?

Silvery skies and rainy days.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Summer sunshine, but there's something about the pull indoors of cooler weather that I find wonderfully inspiring.

 

Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?

All things earthy.  Years ago, I might have said white - but that was before kids.  Haha.

 

If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why?

For sure it would be our lounge room!  Our two boys believe it is actually called our 'play room' - they're right of course, we do much less lounging and much more playing in there...but it's certainly a space that consistently is decorated with train tracks and could possibly use a little more of a design savvy eye from someone over the age of 5.

 

Favourite quote?

"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience" Emerson.  A gentle reminder that in life, like nature, there are seasons of incredible beauty and blossoming, but also seasons of quiet rest and regeneration and beautifully we need both.


You can find Laura on instagram @oncewaslost.co @may.homestore or  her store here.