Collaborations - Karen Miles - French Consul




It is a blessing to come across like minded people whether in person or through this crazy, beautiful world of social media.  I remember reading how Karen had sadly lost her dad, flew to Paris {which changed everything for her} then returned home and launched her label French Consul.  Something about her story and the fact that every time she played music on her instagram stories it was Clare Bowen {one of my all time favourites}, I felt a tug in my heart to reach out to her. 
I am definitely of the mindset you need to ask the question as what is the worst that can happen so I asked and thankfully for me she said yes.  I stitched one of her divine cushion covers with the words "she dreams in perfect french" {one of her favourite quotes} and that is how this collaboration started.  Our minds are buzzing with heaps more exciting projects for our future and I can't wait.

I think it so lovely to learn a little more about the person behind the label so I asked her a few fun questions.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?  
Persistent! I don't easily give up if it's something I'm committed to or passionate about, I always try to find a way to make something work. 

What inspires you the most? 
Inspiring people and beautiful places - they both fill my cup.

Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?  
Oh my goodness I have to choose! I would take them all! I love contrast and am constantly drawn to it whether it's an interior, a character in a film or still life photography. I also love an earthy palette as nature provides such a sense of calm and authenticity.

If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why? 
Not so much the furniture but my kitchen cabinetry and hardware - when we bought our Sydney home they had just installed a new modern kitchen so it's never felt right to change it even though contemporary isn't my style. I long for a French provincial kitchen with shaker panel doors and antique brass handles #sigh#

Favourite quote ?
Well 'She dreams in perfect French' is pretty up there because I really wish I did, but I've also always loved a bit of George Bernard Shaw (Irish playwright), "This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognised by yourself as a mighty one. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live." It's part of a longer piece that always calls me to live with purpose.