In my store - I talk to Simone Nabholz of Winterwares








One of my favourite things about having a store is sourcing other beautiful items to sell.  A couple of years ago I came across the most exquisite, simple, tactile ceramics and instantly fell in love.   If you are anything like me, I love to know a little more about the talented human behind the brand.  So I asked Simone from Winterwares my 5 favourite questions ...

If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?  

One word to describe me is learning. I’m always reading, trying new skills, having a go and figuring things out. I love that feeling of growth that comes with learning. 

What inspires you the most?

I’m inspired by the philosophies of ways of living. I’m curious about how different people live the best versions of their lives. On my bedside table is a stack of books about Japanese philosophies. I’m inspired by the ideas behind wabi-sabi, kintsugi and ikegai. Learning how to live a life with purpose and intention and letting go of the idea of perfection. If I ever feel stuck or overwhelmed and need to feel inspired I head to nature. To the ocean for a swim or into the forest in the South-West. I’m missing it at the moment, not being able to travel. I have a little garden and I like to sit with my tea and watch the birds dance and play in the grevilleas.



Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?  

All things earthy. I feel calmer and more grounded when I’m surrounded by earthy, natural tones and textures. I’m so influenced by my surroundings, it has such an effect on my state of mind, thoughts and emotions. My studio feels like a calm and peaceful little sanctuary because of the colours of the clay and linen, wooden shelves and woven baskets. 



If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why?

My house is so little, it's a challenge to rearrange the furniture! I live in a humble 1950’s workers cottage in Fremantle. Over the years, each room has had a different purpose as our needs have changed and our family has grown. It’s only a two-bedroom house and both our sons now have a room each, so my husband and I have taken the living room as our main bedroom and our living space is now the deck outside. It’s small and cosy but we love it.



Favourite quote?

“Live in the present and make it so beautiful that it’s worth remembering”
~ Ida Scott Taylor


It is such a blessing to sell Simone's gorgeous items in my store.