In my store - I talk to Jo Olive - artist, stationery designer + maker

 




"I am not what has happened to me. I am what I choose to become" - carl jung

I found this beautiful creative, Jo Olive, on Instagram after she posted a photo of some cards that had been letter pressed in her studio for me and I instantly feel in love with her account. She resides on the north coast of NSW surrounded by nature. An artist, teacher, stationery designer and maker, that adds so much tactile beauty to the world and I can feel the joy she has for her surroundings in everything she does. I am grateful that Jo was able to answer my five favourite questions so we could get to know her a little better.


If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be? 

Seeker

What inspires you the most?

Wild places, the overlooked, poetry and the pursuit of simplicity.


Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?

I wouldn't choose I'd take it all. As soon as I have to choose I feel restricted and it's freedom that I crave. I resonate so strongly with velvety blacks, but black itself is so flat and it's not until something else is added; a dirty green, chalky blue or dusty red that its full beauty, body and richness is evident.


If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why?

I've always wanted to rework our bathroom and laundry. It was originally an old concrete water tank - so it's round and everything in there has never quite been finished off or arranged well. It still retains the rusty patina left from the water it has held and has the most beautiful evocative textures. It's one space that I'd love to dedicate more time to and make it a beautiful sanctuary to relax in (and ignore the washing).


Favourite quote?

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.
These words have been my northern star for many years and they continue to steer me in the right direction every day.


You can find Jo on instagram @jo_olive or 

on the web at joolive.com