Creative Musings Journal - Melissa Mander-Jones



 










"There's a reason we are drawn to gazing at the ocean.  It is said the ocean provides a clearer reflection of who we are than any mirror."- Rick Rubin
I am not exactly sure how long we have been watching each others journey from afar but I remember that Mel and I talked about a Mother/Daughter journey to New York and we have now both ticked that off our bucket lists {well Mel went with all her loves}. I see a kindred spirit in this wonderfully talented lady, her beautiful coastal cottage, her love for her family and the gorgeous items she hand stamps through her business, The Coastal Market Place. Lets learn a little more of about her.


1. If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?

 Devoted.

Devoted to my people.

Devoted to my creative processes.

Devoted to live intentionally & presently.


2. What inspires you the most?

 Inspiration- fortunately for us all it's everywhere if you're open to it.

 My mind wanders through inspiring *moments* all day- from palm tree shadows on our front balcony with my morning cup of tea, to the colour of the Surf Club wall I walk past to get to my favourite corner of the ocean. Visual inspiration is important to me as a creative- it makes me be present in everyday moments and sets me up for an afternoon of working in my studio.

 On a larger scale there is nothing as inspiring as travel and wise thoughtful words (the wisdom of our three young adult children continues to surprise & delight me every day). 

 The beauty of travel inspiration is it can be life altering forever- truly inspiring you to consciously adopt a new *way*, changing your perception of the world you've created and yourself within it.

ALL inspiration is good for our creativity!


3. Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?

 White...with a good dose of timber.

I like to live in a canvas where all the *other elements* of our home get to shine.

The floorboard texture is seen. The artwork becomes a true focus. Vintage pieces can hold their own in a new and considered way against a white canvas backdrop. Our home is a very loved 1950's beach house, with big old timber windows that rarely get closed, dark soft floorboards, lots of indoor plants and light...and many gathered treasures. White walls- both internal and external surrounded by our garden (my happy place), keep the house calm and cohesive.


4. If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why?

 In my Studio!

If I could rearrange this space and be settled I would be one happy woman.

It's the only space in our home that's truly mine and yet I alter it weekly- adding pieces/ taking away pieces....it's a constant work in progress- I tell myself it keeps the space alive and creative!

Creative chaos is good- but some day I'll rearrange this room and it will also feel settled.

Fingers crossed!


5. Favourite quote?

  'A Hug is always the right size'.   Winnie-the-Pooh

 

You can follow Mel on instagram @misssewnso + @thecoastalmarketplace