creative musings - Cindy Cavanagh







"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." -Elliott Erwitt

When scrolling instagram Cindy's photography stopped me in my tracks.  Its fairytale like beauty + whimsy captures the essence of joy like being stuck in the scene of Wonka.  Soft + dreamlike yet bold + detailed I get swept away in the gorgeousness of her work.
 

1. If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be? 


Observant! I am an observer. I always have been, and it comes from being naturally quiet and paying attention to what was happening around me as a child. My extended family were extroverts, so observing and sitting quietly was easier. 

As I've grown, I've become an observer of beauty, the ordinary stuff. I love to travel and be adventurous, but I also love seeing beauty in my everyday life.

I'm constantly tapping the shoulder of the person sitting in the passenger seat and pointing out the beauty. I see it in the seasons, through nature, and living in Sydney through street art, architecture, and lights.  


2. What inspires you the most? 


Colour! As a photographer, I hear many talking about their love of light, but for me, it is colour. Nothing inspires me more than finding vibrant rhubarb on the side of the road by a local farmers' market or a bunch of poppies in season. Walking into charity or second-hand stores, the colour of a teacup or pot will grab my attention. 


3. Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?


I would have to say I am in an "all things earthy" mood at the moment. I love bushwalking, and the greens, browns, and greys from the native flora have filled my cup for the last year. I feel a deep connection to the sound of the wind in the gum leaves and the rustle of the leaf litter as you walk through the bush. 


I used to wear a lot of black; that was all you would find in my wardrobe. I moved to creams, whites, and greys, but now I add the earthy tones. It's another way to feel connected to the bush when I can't visit. It feels more like me than either black or white. It's a season, and I'm here for it. 


4. If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why? 

I LOVE to rearrange the lounge room. I usually walk into the living room without the intention of rearranging the furniture, but I shift one thing and then spend the rest of the day shuffling it around. We enjoy a lot of time as a family in our living room, and it's the heart of our home. I like it to look its best.


5. Favourite quote?

One of my favourite movies is "We Bought a Zoo", and I've watched it so many times that I've lost count. It still makes me cry, and my family will watch it with me on my birthday or Mother's Day. So, of course, I love this quote:


"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
― Benjamin Mee, We Bought a Zoo


You can find Cindy's beautiful website HERE
Or visit her on instagram