creative musings - Katie Leamon







 Years ago I dreamt of owning a stationery shop.  Cards, notebooks, journals, wrapping paper + pencils filling every inch. There is something about when design, art + paper come together that makes my heart sing. To me it's tangible beauty!  One of the most joyous tasks about owning my business is finding gorgeous new items for my store.  I came across Katie Leamon about a year ago.  Her way of marrying design, words, art, calligraphy is so beautiful + timeless but yet so very fun.  Her cards are my favourites, hand-printed, made using individual polymer rubber stamps to ensure their uniqueness.  Let us learn a little more about this talented human.


1. If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be? 

Thoughtful - the 'absorbed in thought' thoughtful. 
I am overthinker, I'm always considering, wondering, thinking, empathising with all possible view points. It can be a blessing and a curse. I am often lost in my own deep thoughts, internally analysing the world around me.  

2. What inspires you the most? 

Space and Time - I always seem to have my most creative musings when I step back, take time away or relax. I think it allows my mind time to explore new ideas, see things with a better perspective and in new ways. Often when I allow myself some proper time off, or i'm indulging in something as a treat to myself I get flashes of ideas, see colour combinations, dream up ideas, and solutions to things that have been puzzling me. I like this space and time spent to be outside, in open spaces, involving fresh air, water and nature's energy. 

3. Black, white or all things earthy…which would you choose and why?

All things earthy. Ironically as a lot of our hand printed cards seem black and white, but looking closer, they are actually all ivory and very dark charcoal.... in a very deliberate way. Everything that runs throughout all my work, and our home is that of natural textures, tangible surfaces and natural colours. Soft cream and ivory rather than white, brushed charcoal rather than black, soft sun drenched pastels and organic shape. The difference isn't much on the pantone scale but makes all the difference to the overall feel. 

4.  If you could rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, what room would it be and why? 

We're actually in the process of moving home at the moment, so every room needs help! But I think our kitchen is the room that gets the most use and would be where I would start. We love cooking and eating together, so keeping this room fresh and practical is important to me, as well as ensuring it's a cosy place to eat and share those special moments in. It's a transitional room throughout the day to suit the needs of the family, and I love that it changes throughout the day. From fresh and bright manic mornings to moments of calm and laughter over a family meal. 

5.  Favourite quote?

I think it's more of a Chinese proverb, but I love the meaning behind this quote: 
'The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago, the second best time is now."
It resonates with me, as an overthinker I am prone to thinking; I wish I'd done that, I should have tried that then. I wish I'd thought of that sooner.... you can't change the past but you can change the future. And the best way to do that is by taking a step towards a better outcome, planting seeds for your own future. 


You can find Katie's beautiful website HERE
Or visit her on instagram 
or watch her brand video on youtube